The River Basin Management Society (RBMS) acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first Australians. The RBMS acknowledges that our events are conducted on the traditional land of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and that they have never ceded sovereignty. We acknowledge their continuing connection to Country and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.
The vision of the RBMS is to build a respectful and strong connection with all First Peoples/Traditional owners across Australia to improve the RBMS commitment and understanding of first people cultural heritage, knowledge and expressions in integrated catchment management.
RBMS are committed to supporting opportunities for First People voices and enterprise throughout all our activities. We will achieve this by:
- Following and respecting local protocols when planning events on country – how Aboriginal people on their Country do business.
- Protecting Intellectual Property.
- Incorporating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander language, place names, knowledge and connections as key parts of events.
- Engaging with First People through existing relationships so that trust and respect are the basis of all interactions.
- Ensuring any RBMS event/activity includes an Acknowledgement of Country and where possible a welcome to Country, provided by the appropriate people.
- Invitation to speak at seminars/webinars/events, not just providing the Welcome or Acknowledgement of Country.
- Engaging First people and/or water officers to join RBMS as members (if interested).
- Creating culturally supportive and safe environment for all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander members and people who access our events.
- Celebrating the achievements and contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through major events such as the RBMS awards and ASM conference.
- Being open to learning, updating and improving our recognition and incorporation of First Peoples knowledge and perspectives across all our activities.